FLORHAM PARK—With the summer season in full swing, many people are preparing for a favorite summer activity – the road trip. AAA New Jersey reminds motorists to take AAA along for the ride.
“Whether you’re traveling around the state or across the country, AAA can help you get there,” says Rick Zeckendorf, vice president of travel services for the Florham Park-based Club. “With proper planning, your summer road trip can be safe, enjoyable and stress free.”
AAA New Jersey offers the following tips for a safe and successful road trip:
• Decide whether to rent or drive your own vehicle. Depending on the age, size and fuel economy of your vehicle, it may be more cost effective to rent a car for your trip. AAA estimates the average cost of owning a new car at 54 cents per mile, which means that driving 100 miles per day costs about $50. Look for AAA discounts through Hertz and other car rental companies.
• Bring your vehicle in for a check-up. If you plan to drive your own vehicle, have it serviced before hitting the road, as a properly maintained vehicle will save on fuel expenses and potential headaches.
• Maximize fuel economy. Pack only what you really need and keep luggage secured inside the vehicle rather than strapped to the roof where it will create wind resistance.
• Create a trip budget. Before you leave, log on to AAA.com and click on “Conserving Fuel.” Here you can use AAA’s Fuel Cost Calculator to gauge your expected fuel costs and the Fuel Price Finder to access the latest gas prices at more than 100,000 U.S. gas stations.
• Get up-to-date maps and route information. Log on to AAA.com to use the TripTik® Travel Planner to create and print your own routing. The Travel Planner also provides time saving construction and historic traffic congestion information.
• Leave early. Start trips early in the day when traffic tends to be lighter. Pack healthy snacks and drinks, and plan meal and refueling stops to coincide with likely periods of congestion. Get plenty of rest and stop often enough to avoid becoming tired while behind the wheel.
• Take advantage of discounts. Research discounts available to you at your location and along the way at AAA.com/discounts. Apple iPhone users can download the new AAA Discounts app to easily find savings. The free, GPS-based app displays retail locations of Show Your Card & Save® partners near your location.
The AAA New Jersey Automobile Club, headquartered in Florham Park, provides automotive, travel, insurance, financial and educational services to residents of Essex, Morris and Union Counties. Visit AAA online at AAA.com.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!