Elizabeth Men Found Guilty In Home Invasion

NJTODAY.NET's online business directory

ELIZABETH—Two Elizabeth men were found guilty of a home invasion that left one victim wounded, Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow announced last week.

Clarence Lewis, 32, and Steven Gilmore, 28, were found guilty of 2nd degree burglary and 3rd degree aggravated assault, said Assistant Prosecutor Joshua McMahon, who prosecuted the case.

[smartads]

According to the investigation, on Feb. 2, 2008 the victim—a 43-year-old man—exited his house and encountered Lewis, who was attending a pre-Super Bowl party sponsored by a business across the street, McMahon said.

The men exchanged words and when the victim returned to his house, Lewis, Gilmore and others, followed and eventually broke down both the front door of the victim’s apartment and door to the victim’s unit, said McMahon.
Lewis and Gilmore proceeded to enter the home, attacked the victim, violently beating him before police arrived. The victim received head injuries.

Lewis was arrested at Trinitas Hospital where he sought medical attention following injuries he received during the break-in. Gilmore was arrested several hours later by Elizabeth Police.

Lewis faces up to 20 years in prison and Gilmore faces 10 years in prison when they are sentenced on Sept. 4 before Union County Superior James C. Heimlich, authorities said.


Connect with NJTODAY.NET


Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email ads@njtoday.net for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET