SOUTH AMBOY-This item is from my cousin Deborah Cooney Marion. Deb owned the home on the corner of Highland Street and Hillcrest Avenue in the 1980s. She was told it was the original Dieker farm house from Bordentown Avenue in Sayreville. She was also told by the late Mr. Dieker himself, that it was the house he was born in when it was on Bordentown Avenue. It was moved from the Bordentown Avenue location, circa 1920s. Deb was told it was wrapped in chains and pulled to Highland St. by horses with logs on the bottom of it that had soap on them.
Here is a memory from former South Amboy resident Chris Kierst. He remembers walking over the Raritan River Railroad bridge on Bordentown Avenue, next to where the Raritan Diner was located, when a steam locomotive passed underneath and was enveloped in smoke.
This information was given to me from a South Amboy resident: On May 5, 1950, Jean Byrnes presented “A Spring Dance” recital sponsored by the evening members of the South Amboy Women’s Club in the Harold G. Hoffman auditorium.
Those who participated were:
1. Easter Parade-Patricia Skarzysnki. Betty Moran, Kathleen Mulvey, Janice Freer, Joan Angelitus, Eileen Madaline, Ethel Heller, Peggy Jankowski, Patricia Norowski and Patricia Hansen.
2. Easter Bunnies-Mabel Whitaker, Judy Meinzer, Joan McCarthy, Dorothy Rodrigues, Betty Lou Ewtushek, Janet Yanas and Connie Hansell.
3. Farmettes-Mary Lou Reese, Miram Dowling, Maxine Fedak, Anita Marshall, Pamela Lyons and Gail Smith.
4. Golf and Tennis-Mary Maher, Judy Innes, Elenor Banks, Ann Marie Bader, Margaret Farrow and June Rupp.
5. Ball Games-Mary Lou Dunham and Joan Badore.
6. Picnic Time-Nancy Wortley, Ann Ryan, Sharon Boudinot, Patsy Powers, Joan Render, Sharon Chevalier and Dorothea Maher.
7. Spring Fever-Patricia Skarzynski, Betty Moran, Kathleen Mulvey, Janice Freer, Joan Angeliticus, Eileen Madaline, Ethel Heller, Peggy Jankowski, Patrica Norowski and Patrica Hansen.
8. Minuet-Ann Ryan; girl and Nancy Wortley; boy.
9. April Showers-Mabel Whitaker, Judy Meinzer, Joan McCarthy, Dorothy Rodrigues, Betty Lou Estushek, Janet Yanas and Connie Hansell.
10. Spring Night-Mary Maher, Judy Innes, Margaret Farrow, June Rupp, Joan Badore and Mary Lou Dunham.
11. Tulip Time-Kathleen Mulvey, Betty Moran and Patricia Skarzynski.
12. Lilac Time-Mary Lou Reese, Miram Dowling, Maxine Fedak, Anita Marshall, Pamela Lyons and Gail Smith.
13. Waltz of Flowers-Ann Marie Bader.
14. Dance of the Butterflies-Sharon Boudinot, Patsy Powers, Joan Render, Sharon Chevalier, Dorothea Maher and Carol Everett.
Piano Accompanist was Mrs. W. Hoyt Scharff. Committee for arrangements: Mrs. Francis Lonseth and Mrs. W.T. Peterson. Program committee: Mrs. Andrew Peterson, Mrs. Eugene Dobrzynski and Mrs. W. Bowen Lawrence.
I am always looking for any holiday memories or past material to use at the appropriate time of the year. Send at any time.
If you have your own memories or past information for Carteret, Edison, Metuchen, Perth Amboy, Sayreville, South Amboy or Woodbridge you can email me at email@example.com or send copies of your material to me c/o CMD Media, 1139 East Jersey St., Suite 503, Elizabeth NJ, 07201.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!