CINCINNATI, Ohio—A visit to these haunted colleges and universities throughout the Garden State may not be for the faint of heart. L’Aura Hladik chronicles over thirty spooky New Jersey spots including libraries, restaurants, and hotels in her new book, “Ghosthunting New Jersey.” A perfect companion for the adventurous student, Hladik’s book will give you chills—and may have you on the edge of your seat in class.
- Mead Hall at Drew University says higher education and the supernatural make for a well-rounded degree. Roxana’s ghost appeared to two firemen the day of the great fire in Mead Hall.
- Centenary College has the ghost of Tillie Smith, and she can be seen on the campus grounds and in her old dormitory, as well as at Union Cemetery in Hackettstown. She was murdered in 1886 while defending her honor. Her ghost still seeks to protect the female students on campus.
- Hobart Manor at William Paterson University is an elegant manor which dates to 1877 and is home to the University’s administrative offices now. The ghost of Mrs. Hobart still makes her rounds as a hostess.
- The Raritan Library claims of haunting: just a media stunt, or are they driven by the deeds of resident spirits? A respected psychic and one unnerved little boy would argue for the latter.
- The Bernardsville Library has a library card on file for Phyllis Parker, but she was long dead before she ever acquired it. Her story is one of the many tragic moments of Revolutionary War history.
Hladik’s interest in the paranormal started in childhood and culminated with living in an actual haunted rental house when she was in eighth grade. She officially began hunting for ghosts in 1993 and eventually founded the New Jersey Ghost Hunters Society, which is the largest organization of its kind in the “Garden State.”
“Ghosthunting New Jersey” by L’Aura Hladik (ISBN 978-1-57860-326-8) was published by Clerisy Press in September 2008. The 250-page paperback lists for $14.95.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!