LINDEN – The congregation of the Reformed Church of Linden recently celebrated the dedication of the new handicapped-accessible addition to the church during a worship service of praise and thanksgiving.
The new elevator with a street level entrance on North Wood Avenue allows all individuals with wheelchairs, walkers and canes, and those with weakness or fragility to participate in all aspects of church life with easy access to all three levels of the church building.
The original structure of the Reformed Church of Linden was built in 1871; in 1955 an addition was constructed which included a large auditorium with a stage, a kitchen and offices. These two buildings contained over 150 steps and often deterred the elderly and individuals with either temporary or permanent handicapping conditions. This most recent addition bridges and unifies the original structure and the 1950s addition, and is aesthetically complimentary to the existing structures.
Through the “A Time to Build, A Time To Care” capital campaign, over $350,000 has been raised from community citizens, friends and current and former members of the church family. The accessibility project was also funded by the George W. Bauer Fund, The Robert J. Bauer Fund, the Nicholas J. and Anna K. Bouras Foundation and the John T. Gregorio Humanitarian Fund. The long-term goals of the capital campaign include upgrading the fifty-year-old kitchen and bathrooms and preserving the stained glass windows in the sanctuary.
The church is located at 600 North Wood Avenue on the corner of East Henry in Linden. Worship is at 9:30 a.m. The regular schedule will begin Sept. 14 with Christian education for all ages at 9:30 a.m., worship at 10:30 a.m., and fellowship at 11:30 a.m. Call the church office at 908-486-3714 for more information.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!